New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Rest Doesn't Help with Burnout

Ask HN: Rest Doesn't Help with Burnout
3 by gidor | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I think I might be suffering from burnout. I experienced stress many times during my career. First in grad school, then at work. Every time after some rest my natural curiosity returned, I wanted to learn something new, and start over on a new project. This time is different. Just before covid I moved to a country where I don't speak the language. The unexpected isolation during lockdowns was very tough on me. I got some bad rating during performance reviews and worked extra hard to recover (it's been over a year since this happened). I also had a drinking problem, which got much worse during covid, but I have been sober for a few months already. All my interest in work is lost and it's not coming back despite almost 3 months of rest. I work onsite, but my team is remote, which makes it hard to develop any friendships at work. Do you have any advice how to proceed in this situation? The main issue is that long rest is not helping. If it matters, I'm almost 40.