New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Charter wants $7100 to make my new home serviceable. What gives?

Ask HN: Charter wants $7100 to make my new home serviceable. What gives?
15 by kfrzcode | 37 comments on Hacker News.
Specifically, I live in a residential neighborhood in a moderately sized city in Minnesota. I'm willing to go as far as to start a WISP if I can get enough community support; but my question for the telco HNers is this: what specifically drives the decision to burden the consumer with a significant cost? I can understand if this parcel were somehow drastically outside the ISP service area, but I am certain that isn't the case as I have personal friends within .5 miles that have 1-gig service. Wouldn't the ISP benefit from investing by expanding their available service, given most of the lines (AFAIK) around here are aerial, pole-to-home. Side note, relevant to my ultimate goal of non-DSL internet.... Anyone have advice or ideas on how to get reliable fiber to my community?