New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: I started a new job and I'm scared

Ask HN: I started a new job and I'm scared
8 by lostwhitewalker | 7 comments on Hacker News.
I'm a month and a half into the job as a software engineer II, and I feel lost and scared. I'm scared that they will fire me because they think I'm incompetent. I'm working on a ticket that should take me a day to finish but it has taken me almost a week. I hate that I am always asking people for help, like today I asked for help to rebase my branch since I have never done it before. The fear itself makes me want to quit. At my old job I was the guy that got things done, gathering requirements, designing and developing new features, and e.c.t. I didn't have any mentors at the old company and since it was a small company we didn't follow the industry standards, like code review or using git (we used svn). So everything we do here is new, except the development aspect. I guess what I want to know is, did anyone else ever feel this way and if so how did you over come, did anyone get fired because they are incompetent?