New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: What do you do with your homelab?

Ask HN: What do you do with your homelab?
6 by debaserab2 | 1 comments on Hacker News.
For reasons born purely of intellectual curiosity, I'd like to build a homelab. But, I'm kind of stumped on what to do with it. Like everyone else, my house is pretty well connected to various different cloud platforms for things like streaming and music. It's hard to imagine that a homelab would be a tangible improvement in ways other than things like privacy, but maybe I'm just unaware. I hear of people running K8s clusters on their homelab, which, while being overkill, I could see as a fun hobby project, but I'm just not sure what the actual purpose would be. Is there anything you can do with a homelab that doesn't have an ergonomically superior cloud alternative? Perhaps the way I have stated that question is a tad too subjective, but I'd definitely love to hear why I'm wrong -- especially if the argument extends beyond the obvious things like not using a proprietary service or privacy concerns.