New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How did you learn to mute your inner monologue and speed read?

Ask HN: How did you learn to mute your inner monologue and speed read?
4 by irthomasthomas | 6 comments on Hacker News.
I have always been a slow reader. I subvocalise everything, which makes dialogue fun but progress slow. Now I feel like picking up the pace, but I struggle with the strategy. Apparently I should use my finger or other pointing instrument to guide my eyes over the words at a pace higher than I can vocalise or comprehend. Does that actually work to eventually cure your subvocalisation? And how long does it take? And are you supposed to read entire books like this, without comprehending them, or should I re-read each chapter again? I am currently re-reading Adler Mortimer's How to Read a Book, but, so far I only found one paragraph on the subject of speed which amounts to the above follow-the-finger strategy.