New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How do you find a co-founder you trust?

Ask HN: How do you find a co-founder you trust?
3 by bluewalt | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I’m a former CTO, good at tech and product stuff, but newbie with sales prospection, growth, and many other areas. I think the new idea I have worked on recently could have a great potentiel, but I know I can’t execute it all by myself, as it’s not an “indie” project, based on the quantity of tasks and diversity of skills required. I have previous experience as a founder, in which I tried to find a business co-founder after working one whole year on the project. It was a mistake for many reasons, and I don’t want to repeat it. For now, I’m struggling to find the right way to find the co-founder I need. I’m hesitating between two opposite ways of searching for: 1. Browse people I know (friends, former colleagues, etc.) who would accept to create a startup with me. I trust them with human qualities, but most of the time, they are not the right professional profile for the tasks to be done. 2. Go to speed-dating-like events with strangers to find the right professional profile. But that way, I’m always thinking I can’t know and trust someone I just met. I have a deep feeling it would be a mistake to start a business with someone I can’t trust on both professional and personal skills. Do I sound like a risk-averse person? Do you think the problem is that my network is too small? Should I give up my startup idea and find a smaller project to work on, as an indie dev instead? Am I missing other better ideas? All experience sharing would be appreciated, thanks!