New ask Hacker News story: How do you do parental controls in 2021?

How do you do parental controls in 2021?
2 by zumafan | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I’m a dev so my networking is a bit rusty, but I’m curious if anyone has found the solution to effective parental controls? We’re having trouble with our son sneaking the internet and we’ve become concerned about what he’s doing. We’re not looking for a snooping tool as we will be having regular communication with him as to what we’re doing and what our expectations are, but he’s definitely having trouble controlling his urges and we want a little physical help to go along with the counselling and communication. Up until now we’ve used iOS screen time but it’s become too easy for him to get around so I’m thinking about something at the router level. Is there a decent solution here? Googling and online reviews haven’t given me much hope.