New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Freelancers and consultants, what do your project proposals look like?

Ask HN: Freelancers and consultants, what do your project proposals look like?
2 by stevage | 0 comments on Hacker News.
When you send a proposal for a project to a new client, what are the headings? How long? How pretty is it? Can you share an example? I've been freelancing for a few years now, and am pretty ad hoc about the proposals that I write up. I'd love to see examples of how others approach this. FWIW, my headings are usually: - background (summarises my understanding of what problem the client has) - vision (what they have asked me to build, in a sentence or two) - solution (gets more specific about technologies, etc) - features (details the specific things it needs to do) - other considerations (browser targets, mobile, data management etc) - out of scope - optional extras (sometimes extra sections describing bits that they would have to pay extra for) - pricing and timeframe: how much I'm charging, how quickly I agree to deliver, and milestones for payment/review I don't think it's perfect. In particular, I think I'm missing a good way to communicate the quality I'm (not) promising, what kinds of iterations/feedback/bugs will be acted on, and various other assumptions.