New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: What is your strategy for not being manipulated/pushover at workplace?

Ask HN: What is your strategy for not being manipulated/pushover at workplace?
2 by ElectricMind | 1 comments on Hacker News.
Look I want to go to work code, do shit assigned to me, get paid in return. That's it. I know "48 laws of power" but I don't have time for office politics and manipulating people or kiss someone ass or competition to nailed a new college student that boss hired. I do not want to play dirty or play any office game. I want to put in my best effort then I am done. However, I am no pushover either. I am all for tit for tat. I don't manipulate you but you don't manipulate me or take advantage of me. I am fair by default as long as I am treated fairly. This is the general gist of my approach to the workplace. Not sure this is best. If you are anything like me.. Do you have any experience in this matter of manipulation at the workplace? What did you learn hard way? What is your defense system now?