New ask Hacker News story: Systemd makes life miserable, again, this time by breaking DNS

Systemd makes life miserable, again, this time by breaking DNS
4 by bcrl | 1 comments on Hacker News.
So, I made the mistake of updating my laptop from Fedora 31 to Fedora 33 last night. Normally this is fairly painless, as my laptop is one of the last machines I perform distribution upgrades. Today while doing some pole survey work out in the field, I tethered my laptop to my phone as has been done hundreds of times before. To my surprise, DNS doesn't work anymore, but only in web browsers. Both Firefox and Chrome can't resolve names anymore. Command line tools like ping and host work normally. WTF? Why are distributions continuing to allow systemd to extend its tentacles deeper and deeper into more parts of Linux userland with poorly tested subsystem replacements for parts of Linux that have been stable for decades? Does nobody else consider this repeating pattern of rewrite-replace-introduce-new-bugs a problem? Newer is not all that better if you break what is a pretty bog standard and common use-case.