New ask Hacker News story: How can I use my skills for good?

How can I use my skills for good?
3 by arthar | 5 comments on Hacker News.
I realize that's a vague, loaded question. But, for the last year, I've been feeling more and more detached. I'd say my core competencies are ownership, software engineering/architecture, and research. I enjoy working with different people to understand their needs and execute on it based on my capabilities. It's just that when I disconnect from work, I feel lost because I see how sad the state of the world is for so many people. While I'm sitting in my comfortable apartment in California with my biggest complaint being the heat today because I have too many windows, there are children going to work in mines in Africa and there are also people in my neighborhood who can't afford rent. This makes it pretty difficult for me to enjoy some of the nicer things in life. I also feel some guilt at time, because I was born in another country to lower-middle family and what I have today seems unreal to say the least. How can I take the skills I have and put them to good use? Are there any organizations I can join where I can work with other like-minded people who want to tackle hard problems for raw societal benefit? Sorry if this sounds corny, but I really want to know. Also, please note this is not coming from a place of depression or anything like that - I just want to know how I can be useful. As awesome as it is to drive self driving car and other goodies, I have to admit the coolness wears off when I take an exit and I'm greeted by lines of tents and trash, or watch on my TV a program that shows kids working in mines so we can make cell phones.