New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Software Engineers – How to overcome being assigned tedious tasks

Ask HN: Software Engineers – How to overcome being assigned tedious tasks
3 by hershyb_ | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I'd really appreciate some advice here. I've been working for about 6 months on a project and everyone on the team has about the same tenure as myself at the company/project. Initially, I was assigned to write tests for our end-end pipeline and completed the assignment, but eventually that was the only type of work that I was given. No real coding, just testing. Maybe software engineers that haven't been performing at high levels are mostly given the job of testing code, or it's just a standard to have certain developers do all of the testing, but it's really eroded my confidence and passion for developing. I've tried to bring this up with my manager (admittedly passively) and he keeps suggesting that I will be able to work on different assignments after a couple months. In addition, the team is so large that it's often easy for him to lose track of an individual developer. Any suggestions on how I can improve myself to get out of this rut when everyone else in the group seems to be enjoying the new types of experiences they are learning from. P.S. hope I didn't complain too much, but if I am just let me know :)